- Eat sensibly avoiding hard or sticky foods.
- Eat more slowly, carefully and only eat foods which you can cut up well first (= most things - you do not starve!).
- Do not eat chewing gum-toffees-hard sweets-hard crusts whole carrots, apples etc.
- They may bend and break wires and dislodge brackets.
- This will slow down treatment.
- Avoid fizzy drinks - sweet drinks - fruit juices - sweets - sugar except in moderation.
- They can dissolve surface enamel and cause permanent damage to teeth.
- In fixed orthodontic appliance treatment the brackets are more difficult to clean.It is therefore very important to care for the fixed brace by careful brushing and using a sensible diet.
- Permanent damage to the tooth enamel can occur if the teeth and brackets are not kept clean. The enamel will decalcify leaving unsightly white marks.
- Clean your teeth and brace four times a day. Morning, mid-day, tea-time, and bed-time.
A reasonable alternative is available and we stock these in various colours. They will protect your teeth and also your brace.
- You will need brushes and toothpaste. Additional items are also recommended. The ideal way to start is to buy the ORTHODONTIC HOME CARE KIT. This contains a double ended orthodontic toothbrush for general cleaning. A travel brush for taking to school. A timer to indicate the minimum time that cleaning should take.Floss and disclosing samples. Wax to protect any sensitive areas in the mouth.A mouth mirror. Replacements for individual items are usually stocked.
- We also recommend using a Fluoride gel for brushing the teeth at least once a day and a fluoride rinse once a week (or daily version).
- This will help to prevent damage.
- Usually a small type of toothbrush will need to be used as well as a normal larger brush to clean the brackets properly as in the videos above. This must be done at least once every day - ideally twice.
We reserve the right to discontinue treatment after two failed appointments if we feel that this has created additional problems.If you need to change an appointment it is essential that you give us proper notice.It is your responsibility to ensure that you make your appointments for times when you do not have conflicting commitments.
Monday to Friday
Open 08.45 - 17.00
Closed for lunch 13.00 - 14.00
Listen to the answerphone message out of hours for advice.
0121 476 6218
0121 475 6492
Out of Hours
Call NHS 111
Where We Are
Addison Dental Practice
31, Redhill Road